|West Baden Springs Hotel|
Hotel owner Ed Ballard hoped the crash would be short-lived but as it drug on into the 1930s, Ballard realized that it was the end of an era for his beloved hotel. In 1934, after numerous attempts to find a buyer for the business, he sold the $7 million grand dame for $1 to the Society of Jesus – the Jesuits. Thus began thirty years in the hotel’s history as a Jesuit seminary.
|Jesuit Brothers at West Baden|
West Baden College became an affiliate of Loyola University in Chicago where priests, brothers and students were sent to train and teach. These Jesuits immediately removed or covered most of the hotel’s lavish furnishings and decorations to fit with their belief in simplicity. Anything that was considered too extravagant by this austere order was hidden from sight (but thankfully stored, and therefore preserved.) Even the regaled mineral springs were capped with concrete and turned into shrines for saints after tons of stone were dumped down into them.
|Path to St Ignatius|
During their thirty years there, the Jesuits established a small cemetery in which to bury those priests who died while serving here. The first burial was for Eduardus J. McDonald, Scholasticus, and took place on August 26, 1935.
|Those Buried at St Ignatius|
In all, a total of 39 priests have been buried here over the years. In fact, Jesuits may still request to be buried in St. Ignatius Cemetery.